Friday, March 28, 2008

Can *Real* Work be Done on an Eee?

As I've mentioned, this is my 2nd Eee PC.  I've thought long and hard before getting this because a week before I actually purchased my 2nd Eee PC, Intel's "Classmate PC" (locally known as the eXporer X1).  But after a short look at it, I deemed it unfit for my work-related needs.

Anyway, back to topic:  Can one really do *real* work on an Eee PC?  I primarily use the Eee PC in the office as my quick-reference machine -- it is always connected to the 'net so that if ever I need to look up something, its ready to consult Google and Wikipedia.  To date, I already did a couple of magazine articles on the Eee but in relation to my real bread-and-butter, I have yet to use it to earn *real* money.  But I do use it to track my projects using a TiddlyWiki variant called MonkeyGTD.  Most of the stuff written in this blog was also done on the Eee PC.

This Eee PC is also the repository of my personal financial data (as if I need one :) ) using a nifty program called Buddi.  I also store notes on it through TiddlyWiki.  I am looking forward to using this Eee PC to do a presentation to my clients and hopefully I can do it within the next coupe of weeks.

So, can real work really be done using the Eee PC?  I still think that the Eee is not meant to be a primary computer.  I can live with the Eee PC because I have a full-sized laptop at home and a desktop computer at the office.  If push comes to shove, I think I can live using the Eee PC exclusively but I shudder at the thought of how it will affect my hands -- its keyboard *may* cause Repetitive Stress Syndrome (RSS) because of its size but then again, its the size that makes it an attractive complementary computer for me and for a lot of people.

Note: this post really has no point.  I just wrote this to kill time while waiting for my car to get fixed :)
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

Israel Nicolas said...

get a keyboard =). I write a lot as my primary job and if the keys are the problem get a compact keyboard.