Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wireless Eee PC Surfing using a Nokia N95 (8Gb)



I was lucky enough to snag a Nokia N95 (8Gb) as a review unit for a local magazine that I write for and after doing my article (actually, two articles) for that unit, I experimented and tried connecting it to my Eee PC to see if it plays well together.

To my pleasant surprise, I was able to configure my Eee to do dial-up networking using the Nokia N95 as a wireless modem! Here's how its done if you want to use Smart:
  • connect the phone to the Eee using the bundled data cable (the cable for the N95 is a standard USB-to-miniUSB cable). Once connected, the phone will ask what kind of connection it will start, I chose "PC Suite".
  • on the Eee side, initiate the Network Connections applet (Control Center --> Network Connections) and click on the "Create..."
    button. This should start the "Connection Wizard"
  • On the Connection Wizard, select "Dial-up" as the connection type then click next. The Eee will seem to freeze for a while as it tries to detect the N95.
  • On the next screen select "Nokia - Nokia N95 8GB /dev/ttyACM0 then click "Next"
  • It will ask for a phone number, enter the phone number of your ISP. In Manila, Philippines, the dialing prefix should be "02" and dialing suffix blank then click "Next"
  • enter the user ID and password you use for your ISP and click "Next"
  • enter a descriptive name for this connection and click Next. The Eee will again freeze for a bit as it saves your configuration
That's it! To use this new connection method, go back to the Network Connection applet and select your new configuration, click on the Connection button and select "Connect..."

I need to do more researh if this method can be used to access the local telco's 3G/HSDPA network,

1 comment:

James said...

thanks for that info mate!
I would be interested to know how to use my o2 mobile internet that i use on my nokia n95 8gb tho? So then its free 4 me